08 December 2008

oh my edward!


8 December 2008

HAPPY IMMACULATE CONCEPTION DAY!!! Yeah, not sure if that’s what its really called, but I’m going to run with it! Let’s see, let’s see. I haven’t done too much since I was trying to catch up on books this weekend. I got through one 246 paged book and 380 of a 460-ish book. Yugh. Juan Marsé must hate me!

Thursday after class I went in search of the Obama Shitter. In Catalyna they have this character in the Nativity Scene of a little kid who’s taking a shit in some hidden area of the scene. Since it’s such a silly thing, they started making famous shitters. I found the little Obama stinker, but he was super expensive and I decided to just take a picture of him, haha! On the way to the Christmas market, I saw the really sad looking beggar who is always on Carrer Pelai smoking a cigarette with his buddy and SMILING! Go you amigo! Then while walking around the Gothic Area, this dude who was all upset looking came up to me and was like “do you speak eeenlish?!” So I said yeah and he went on this whole spiel how he was robbed and needed a phone to call his family. I knew he was lying and told him to ask the people in the stores to lend them their phone. He said they didn’t have phones. Lies. So I told him to check other ones. He said he had. More lies. Then he asked for 50 cents, like that would solve all of his problems. I said “No, sorry. I’ve got nothing,” to which he replied, “I KNEW YOU WERE A LIAR!!” Bahahahaha!! What a turd muncher! And here he was thinking he was all clever and stuff. I also decided to not get my cartilage pierced here since its like 40 euros here and only about 18 dollars back in the US. A while later we went to this place called Quinze Nits (15 nights) for dinner. It’s a place where gourmet chefs in training work, so it was really nice food for cheap! So good! We went to the shot bar afterwards, but I was bored and went home after a half hour or so.

Friday I got up at 7:00 since we were going to Girona and the Dalí museum that day. Girona was pretty boring. There was a pretty river and some cool areas, but it wasn’t particularly gasp-worthy. The one thing that made me giggle was a sign that said something about “if you keep pissing on the stairs, I’ll kill you, you son of a bitch.” Since there were a lot of stairs, I didn’t know what they were referring to until we went up these spiral stairs that smelled like people had obviously pissed on them. So glad I put my hand on that railing! Sweeet! We had a little spare time before catching the bus so we walked around the Christmas market they had set up in town. We kept seeing these weird log decorations so we asked Pilar about them. Apparently they’re called “Tió de Nadal” or “Caga tió” and what they happens is, little kids feed the log little snacks every day leading up to Christmas Eve and on Christmas Eve night, they hit it with a stick, and it poops out presents! I don’t know, but it seems there is a minor obsession with poopin in Catalunya! Afterwards, we drove over to Figueras where we got some paella. They also gave us some muscatel, which is basically really sweet wine. But here’s the catch! You cant drink it out of a wine glass! They give you this jar with a spout on it and you have to pour it into your mouth without your mouth touching it—so fun! Then we went over to the Dalí theatre-museum. Ummmm, SO amazing! If anyone is in Barca and is remotely interested in Dalí, you MUST go there! So Dalí made the theatre-museum while he was still alive out of an old theatre that had been destroyed in the Spanish Civil War so the building itself is one of his works of art. And even though he had a plot ready for when he died next to his dear Gala, he decided later (after she died) to be buried in the museum either so he could be buried under the stars or something cute like that (the top of that room is a glass ball). If you look through the windows to the left, the glass ball is reflected so it looks like there are two of them when really there’s nothing over the outside cloister. We got to see a lot of his cool works, like the Abraham Lincoln/naked Gala one. From far away, it looks like a pixilated painting of Lincoln, but when you get close, it’s a painting of his naked wife—so insane! A lot of his paintings have cool optical illusions like that. One has what looks like a bunch of Venus de Milo’s on it, but if you look at it from farther away, it’s a man, a bull, and a Dalí as a child in the corner. We also, of course, saw the Venus with drawers coming out of her. There’s this one of a face, I think Goya’s face, but he had originally started out by putting an octopus on the canvas and letting it get its ink everywhere. After looking at the aftermath, he thought he saw a face in it and finished it off. In one of the rooms, Dalí constructed the Mae West/apartment painting. They had these stairs at the front of it with a bubble widow that showed you exactly how it all looks from a proper distance—so cool! If you look behind the red wall (her head) you get to see what’s going on in her mind…basically there was a bed and lots of shiny things, haha! There was one room that made it seem like you were inside of a treasure chest, and the inner cloister was pretty cool too. If you go from the theatre angle, it would be where the spectators would sit. But also, it could be like an aquarium. If you look up, there’s a little ship up in the air that looks like its being hoisted out of the water since there are water drops coming off of it. Also, the windows from the multiple floors of the museum face into the cloister. Each window has a golden person in it (or an Oscar statue) which makes it seem like you are the fish in the tank and that they are the ones watching you! Dalí also has a replica of his car that he had in the US in the middle of it. If you pressed a button, it rained on the inside of the car and the umbrella on the top of this ship closed up, which is kind of the reverse of what should happen. He also reconstructed people using all natural objects like bones and logs, and recreated the metro stop entrances from Paris. But yeah, I would totally go back there since it was such an amazing tour!! He truly was a genius, and a non-druggy I might add. Apparently he was his own drug.

After discussing Twilight throughout the day with some of the girls, about 7 of us ran off the bus to go catch the 8:30 showing of the movie. I was wearing my awesome Twilight shirt and everyone was obvi jealous, haha! Analysis. The first half was interesting. Not really how imagined Edward would act, but whatever. They missed some big things, shorted a lot of great parts, and rushed the start of their little romance. It was all of the sudden like “OMIGOD, I LUUUUV YOU!” Yes, I know you had to shorten the book, but you could have made the movie longer than 2 hours…silly. So yeah, first ½ was interesting. Some really horrible bits of acting mixed in there (i.e. “AS IF YOU COULD OUTRUN ME!” *constipated face*). Whatever. The second ½ was so awesome it thankfully made me forget the shortcomings/goofiness of the first ½ . Umm, the baseball scene was so rockin! I mean, how could it not considering there was a Muse song on in the background?! The prom part was also super cute, but that could have been due to the Iron and Wine song that was playing. I guess the music had a lot to do with those. But yeah. I saw it again on Saturday night since Amy and Kel wanted to see it. Hey, I’m not complaining! I’ll probably see it again next week, haha!

9 December 2008

25 pages to go in Últimas tardes con Teresa, wooooo! Also, Carrer Pelai beggar got a haircut. Lookin’ fab, homie!

PHOTOS
Thanksgiving
Around BCN
Girona & Figueres

I know I havent put up pictures of my room all decorated yet, but those will hopefully be with the next one. I'm feeling rather lazy. BUT! here is a special holiday treat for you all. If Ryan & Jordan see this, please dont kill me! I just thought it was cute =D

Send your own ElfYourself eCards

No comments: